So, that's was on my mind when my plans changed...
I planned to fly out on the 5:30 am flight Monday morning, changing planes in Phoenix and arriving at my final destination, SLC in enough time to have lunch with my Grandma who lives in Sugar House. My ticket was a guest pass (stand by). I called my pilot pal Saturday and all looked ok, but he said to call Sunday after church and we'd check again and book my flight. Well, Sunday after church I debated whether to call my pal before or after a much needed nap. Luckily, I decided to call first. He said Monday looked totally over loaded. I decided to go straight to the airport to try to get on a plane Sunday night. I arrived shortly after 4pm and waited with the other stand by passengers, all our fingers crossed. We sadly watched the plane pull away from the gate at 6pm. It turns out there was an 8 o'clock flight that didn't show up when my pal looked at the flights. We decided to wait and shoot for that flight. The flight was delayed until 9 and we miraculously all got on.
While we were waiting a gal, Lakshmi, came up and started chatting with me. I told her I was heading to BYU for a week long choral conducting class. I asked if she'd ever heard of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or the LDS church. I gave her the pass along card with the SLC temple on it. We had a nice chat, but it didn't seem like she was interested at all, more like she was amazed by our unique beliefs. She didn't believe that Jesus Christ was the way to God or the only way to be saved. She believed in positive thinking and that everything here is a part of God, and that everyone will get back to God regardless of their actions. I told her about Joseph Smith and repentance and free agency. As I told her about my trip I told her I'd prayed and asked if leaving my family for a week and going to study was the right thing to do and that I felt God telling me it was good. After awhile she had a thoughtful look on her face. She noticed I was watching her and said she was just thinking about all the good in my life: husband, children, happiness, this opportunity to go study. I told her that every good thing in my life and every piece of good in me was because of the Church and she said she knew that was true! By the time we got on the plane we'd become friends. I gave her a second pass along card with the picture of Jesus Christ walking out of the tomb. She was genuinely happy to see the offer on the back of the card for the free video, Finding Faith in Christ. She gave me her business card and I'm excited to follow up with her. What a positive experience that might seem like a huge inconvenience!
Because the flight got delayed I had to bunker down in Phoenix for the night. Miraculously, two of my dearest friends live just an exit away from the airport. I called them and got to spend the night!! I also got to meet their new daughter, Abby! What a miracle! There are no coincidences in life! I'd like to think that because I was willing to go out of my way, by being cheerful in the airport and looking for missionary opportunities, the Lord blessed me with one of those tender mercies!

Above is my beloved Jen. And below is Matt.
This is how the photo started and at the last second...
Those of you who love Matt almost as much as I do know this unexpectedness is typical Matt!
No comments:
Post a Comment