Our Eternal Family

Our Eternal Family

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bread Day...

Wednesday is a legacy type of day in my home. Every Wednesday I make bread for my family, just like my Mother did. I also use it to pay for piano lessons for my daughters, so it's a very handy skill!

It starts by grinding my wheat. This way all the nutrients are prime! I grind my wheat on the Kitchen Mill - LOVE it! It was a gift from the food storage queen, my mother-in-law, Karen.
Grinding wheat is dusty business. The dust from the wheat will cover EVERY surface in the house. Last week, after making a considerable mess, I decided I will forever & henceforth grind the wheat on my back deck. (Renesmee is painting the window with my brush!)
Too cute!
I usually fill a whole paint bucket full of wheat at one time so I don't have to grind it every week. The next step is to mix the dough. My mother, Rosemary, bought me this awesome bread mixer! It's a K-tec, same company as the wheat mill. I love my mothers!
While it mixes, stop & have a chat with your baby.
Rise in the warm oven.
Oh my. This mess is the result of 2 batches of bread, and cooking two types of beans, all at the same time.
Finished product!! I tell you, this bread has made me more friends than anything else! And yes, listening to Harry Potter really does make cleaning the kitchen an awesome time!
p.s. Since posting this I did a little research & discovered this. I guess I will grind my wheat flour right before I mix the dough.
Whole wheat is a nutritious food but the vitamins and minerals dissipate quickly once the wheat has been ground into flour. IN fact, within the first 24 hours the flour has lost 45% of it's nutrients and by the time 72 hours has passed it has lost a whopping 90%!

No comments: