Our Eternal Family

Our Eternal Family

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Things are gonna change...

It's no secret that I love ward choir and I think everyone in the ward should join. It's no secret that I love the singers in the choir, my choir. I love, love, love them! Last Sunday was no different from any of the others. My choir sang Sally DeFord's arrangement of "Come Unto Christ" and it was wonderful! The choir sounded fabulous and they performed all the important things we'd worked on. Strong/weak beats, emphasis on important words, their pitches were great, their vowels were awesome, we were unified and I was thrilled!!

After Sacrament meeting our high councilor came and asked to speak w/me & Paul. I was at peace and unsuspectingly wondered what they wanted with Paul. He's been the 12/13 year old scout master for just over a year now. The HC sat us down and he said the calling was actually for me. "Will you serve as the secretary to the Stake Relief Society Presidency?" Before I even realized what he said he asked, "will you accept this call?" "Of course, but what is it again?" As the realization that I would be released from my ward choir my eyes burned with the beginnings of disappointed tears.

Paul had to rush off to his young men's class, and I walked stunned, hugging Jennifer for comfort to Relief Society. My tears over flowed as I saw my Bishop, one of my faithful tenors, in the room. He gave me a look that communicated he knew, that I knew. I shook his hand and through a trembling voice whispered, "you let me go, Bishop!" "Not without a fight." "Well, I appreciate the fight."

Off and on all week I've cried. I cried when I told my mom. As soon as I said hello, she said, "Honey, what's wrong?!" I told her mother who was very upset because she knows how much I love it, and Grandma's are just that way.

Today was Stake Conference. I was asked to conduct the singing and was awed at the power of so many voices singing the hymns of Zion, and under my direction! Again, the love of what I do! Then my name was presented to the Stake and they asked me to stand. I had to stand while other names were called for callings and then we were all sustained. Those who know me could see the pain and sorrow I felt. It was very evident, hands wringing and trembling, tears rolled down my cheeks once more... in front of the whole stake.

This calling is going to demand that I prioritize my time, and organize my home and time. There are meetings, lots of travel, and lots of meeting the sisters in my stake. My social nature will be a blessing because there is little I love more than meeting sisters and being with them. I will leave the girls and Edward often so I have to teach them to be reverent in church, and help take care of each other. The sadness I've felt isn't so much for the new calling, which will be difficult and rewarding. I'm sure I will fall in love with it. But for the loss my choir and the sweet connection I have with my singers.

Either Joseph Smith had a vision or he didn't. It is my testimony that he did and that God lives and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true gospel of Jesus Christ, restored in its fulness. This is why I said yes to the call to serve. That is why I chose the two hymns I did for today, Hymn #26, Joseph Smith's First Vision, and Hymn #134 I Believe in Christ.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

i'm excited for you to do good things for a lot of people!

sue said...

You will do an awesome job. And I'm sure the ward choir will miss you.

Janelle said...

I am REALLY going to miss you as choir director, and as my amiga in RS!!! you got me excited about singing again, I forgot how addicting it is. I love you!!! And look forward to working with you somehow in RS. LOVE, love, love you!